lss_logo

lss_logo

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Just getting started



The bottom photo is Gopal Singh and I sitting and eating, Indian style. The top photo is Rohitash Kumar Meena and myself catching a little shade.

This a first post to just make the blog not be blank.

Lok Sahbhagi Sansthan has gotten started on its work, and the field workers and I are very excited to be moving forward. In Hindi Lok Sahbhagi Sanstha (LSS) means, roughly, Public Participatory Institute, reflecting how the organization see itself: as a facilitator to activities that can help villagers better their situations economically, educationally, and so forth. The field workers are are Rohitash and Gopal. They have just begun work after beginning the first round of funds. They have rented a small office, for which they have bought a computer, desk, cabinets, and other supplies needed to run day-to-day operations. They have also gotten a motorcycle and are currently visiting villages to establish connections in the area. Our work will focus on women's micro-credit group, youth technology education, and watershed management. When I spoke to the workers last, there was already one micro-credit group set up, with a goal of setting micro-credit groups and youth computer education groups in 2-3 villages in the next month or so. The field workers have roughly 18 years of experience in this line of work, and so bring a wealth of knowledge that will work to the organization advantage in the years to come.

A board for a US-based support organization has been provisionally established, consisting of myself, Meg Fowler, and Richard Johnson. Richard, a student in law, will be working in the months to come on the legal details for obtaining 501(3)(c) status. I hope to do some fundraising in the near future, and hope you will consider giving to my organization if you feel so inclined. I will work to make sure that we have completely transparent operations, with clear records of where all the money donated is going and a yearly outside audit of accounts. The fieldworkers have been keeping receipts and proper documentation will be made. I know trust is key in such an enterprise, and I will work to maintain a trustworthy enterprise at all times.

I am most excited about the beginning of operations and hope to get others excited about it as well. I have posted some photos of myself and the field workers, from past visits (above).

No comments:

Post a Comment